Transfer Maids and Direct Hire from Indonesia Procedures
Employing Transfer Maid or Direct Hire from Indonesia.
The Find a Nanny website also allows advertising of transfer maids. Transfer maids, or foreign domestic workers, are often a good way to find a good maid quickly and avoid going through a lot of red tape. As the maids are already here in Singapore, often the transfer can be completed quickly. Or in the other scenario, multiple maids can be interviewed, the preferred maid selected and the transfer effected smoothly at the appointed time. Transfer maids generally are more experienced that the ones typically presented by maid agencies, have overcome their home-sickness and culture shock. If I may characterise the typical transfer maid (not meaning to stereotype), they might be goal driven (to save money for their children's education for instance) and therefore more focused.
Employing a Transfer Maid Without Going Through an Agent.
It is the new employer's responsibility to complete the process 30 days before the Foreign Domestic Worker's (FDW) Work Permit expires. Here are the steps:
- Obtain consent of the transfer.
- Confirm that the present employer has sent the FDW for her six monthly medical exam and if the last exam was 5 months ago, send her for one.
- Submit a new Work Permit application for her, available here.
- Only allow the FDW to start with you (the new employer) after the new work permit has been issued.
- Collect the current Work Permit card before doing the transfer.
- The previous employer must continue to pay the levy up until the day the new Work Permit is issued.
If the maid's, or foreign domestic worker's application is unsuccessful and the Work Permit is cancelled, the current employer must send the maid back to her country within seven days of the cancellation or expiry of Work Permit.
Direct Hire from Indonesia.
You may want to hire a particular person from Indonesia based on a recommendation. This is not as hard as some people make it out to be. The whole process should only cost you a few hundred dollars compared to well over a two thousand dollars if you use a maid agency. There is really only one step in the procedure that can go wrong and, naturally, it is on the Indonesian side. She MUST obtain a KTKLN ID Card, otherwise there could be complications at the airport in Indonesia. Please read below:
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM), has very detailed explanations of the process here.
The following is provided as a useful summary, but please do check the MOM website in case there have been changes.
You will need to gather all the relevant details about the lady you wish to employ as your new maid, such as:
- Full name
- Passport number
- Passport expiry date
- Date of birth
- If married, spouse's details
- If she has worked in Singapore before, then get her previous Work Permit number.
Apply for the Work Permit (Foreign Domestic Worker)
- You can do this on-line here (you will need a SingPass)
- If you wish to do a manual submission, you can submit the completed Work Permit application form at any SingPost office
- You must pay a $20 Administrative fee. Payment can be made using Visa, Mastercard or eNets Debit.
- To process the Work Permit application will take one working day.
- You can view and print the Work Permit Application Form from here.
- It will take seven days for approval to be given by MOM after which the outcome of the application will be mailed to the employer.
- If successful, you will receive an In-Principle letter or a "Letter of Notification to bring the Foreign Domestic Worker into Singapore".
- You will then have to pay the security bond for the maid. You can do that at NTUC Income, here, or with Anda Insurance here. Once purchased MOM will be automatically advised.
- Post the following by registered mail:
- In-Principle approval letter to the maid. She will need to show this to Singapore Customs upon arrival at the airport.
- Insurance Security Bond copy.
- The air ticket you purchased for her. (you can do this on-line)
- Your Indonesian Foreign Domestic Worker must obtain a KTKLN card and these can only be made while she is in Indonesia. A list of the KTKLN offices can be found here.
- As her employer, you will have to be at Singapore airport 30 minutes before her arrival to declare the In-Principal Approval Letter to the Immigration's Office, otherwise the maid may be turned away.
- Once the maid is in Singapore you will have 14 days to complete her medical check-up, which can be done at SATA
The total cost of doing this excluding the air tickets is about $150. A Maid agency will charge well over $2,000 so the slight inconvenience of doing it yourself is far outweighed by the savings in money. If you have the time.